4) Haagweg is being converted from four lanes down to two lanes so the tram ROW can be widened. Local service roads are being added to the project so bicyclists can have a safe and comfortable through road. Motorists can only use the local service road for local access only.
Da Costa neighborhood traffic calming
5a) The Da Costa neighborhood has a splay diverter because the diagonal street was being used as a shortcut for motorists.The splay diverter was employed to reduce traffic on local users. The approaches from the left and right are both one-way streets pointed towards the device. At the intersection, each street is split so drivers must choose to go right or left. No through movements are allowed, and because the approaches are both one-way in, a driver can’t weasel around the barriers and keep going. Bollards are employed to enable cyclists to cut through.
5b) Even though signage is rarely effective for traffic calming (how effective are speed limit signs?), signage has been effective for traffic calming in the Da Costa neighborhood. As the below street view screenshot shows, motorists can’t turn left or right at the intersection so are forced to proceed straight through the intersection. Cyclists are allowed in any direction.
The below map shows the intersection of Bilderdijklaan and Da Costalaan with one-way street arrows pointing at the intersection.
6) We only stopped in the old center of Rijswijk for a minute so I didn’t have time to take any photos. The old center of Rijswijk is a pedestrian mall so most automobiles are prohibited.
7) The Netherlands has been doing amazing things with roads that were designed for automobiles. Huis te Lindelaan, which is a main arterial from the 1960s, now has cycle tracks on it. In addition, as the below photo shows, Huis te Lindelaan had a road diet to create one-lane crossings. I find it interesting how there is automobile parking on the main arterial and the service road because I believe automobile parking should only be on the service road. Main arterials are only for through traffic so motorists should drive onto the service road before parking.
8) Rijswijk built a new town center near the new train station
9) Steenvordelaan, which is an access road to the shopping center, had its speed limit reduced to 30 km/h and transit friendly traffic calming implemented.
10) Sir Winston Churchilllaan road diet at Eisenhowerplein. Sir Winston Churchilllaan used to be a huge road with a horrendously long crosswalk. By reducing traffic to one lane in each direction, and adding pedestrian refuges between each lane and between the road and tram tracks, the distance was broken down into manageable segments. Traffic modeling showed that since this area was primarily governed by the signals on either side of the segment, and not the pedestrian crossing in the middle, that the flow would be relatively unaffected by a reduction in lanes.